About this blogger:
Veronica Brandt holds a Bachelor Degree in Electrical Engineering. As editor, she has produced fine publications (as well as valuable reprints) dealing with Gregorian chant, hymnody, Latin, and other subjects. These publications are distinguished on account of their tastefulness. She lives in the Blue Mountains near Sydney, Australia, with her husband Peter and five children.
Connect on Facebook:
Connect on Twitter:
"Since such is the nature of man that he cannot easily without external means be raised to meditation on divine things, on that account holy Mother Church has instituted certain rites, namely that certain things be pronounced in a subdued tone (canon and words of consecration) and others in a louder tone; she has likewise made use of ceremonies such as mystical blessings, lights, incense, vestments, and many other things of this kind in accordance with apostolic teaching and tradition, whereby both the majesty of so great a sacrifice might be commended, and the minds of the faithful excited by these visible signs of religion and piety to the contemplation of the most sublime matters which are hidden in this sacrifice."
— Council of Trent (Session XXII)

ABOUT US  |  OUR HEADER  |  ARCHIVE
Tweaking Linebreaks Online with Gregorio
published 6 January 2018 by Veronica Brandt

AST WEEK I MADE A SHORT VIDEO about how easy it is to use Benjamin Bloomfield’s GABC Propers Tool. I used the online tool to make a booklet interleaving the propers and the ordinaries in under five minutes.

One comment was that this method lacked the ability to add linebreaks. But you can add linebreaks! This Sunday’s propers provided two opportunities to showcase this ability. Here I run through finding the best points to insert linebreaks.

The links in case you would like to try this out yourself:

    * *  GABC Propers Tool

    * *  Gregorio Cheat Sheet

I used the Traditional Calendar setting and chose the First Sunday After Epiphany (Holy Family), full propers, PDF (Further Options). Then in Illuminare I selected a width of 4.5 inches and height of 9 inches. I print these out scaled up to fit the page to be easy to read.

And the text of the changes to the code:

At the end of the Alleluia I changed:
Sal(gh)vá(fvEDef/gfhvGF’g)tor.(g.) (;) (hgjvvIH’kvJH’hg.) (,) (hvGF’EDgv.fg!hvhgjvIH’hg.) (::)
to
Sal(gh)vá(fvEDef/gfhvGF’g)tor.(g.) (;) (hgjvvIH’kvJH’hg.) (,)(z) (hvGF’EDgv.fg!hvhgjvIH’hg.) (::)

In the Gradual I ended up adding in a z into this line:
Dó(hg/hf/g_f)mi(ef)ni(f.) (;) óm(h)ni(g)bus(h)
resulting in this:
Dó(hg/hf/g_f)mi(efz)ni(f.) (;) óm(h)ni(g)bus(h)

And here are the before and after shots: